Saturday, February 25, 2023

A life of sacrificial service

MATTHEW 16

Jesus told the disciples that he was going to be killed, but Peter pulled Jesus aside and rebuked him.

23 But [Jesus] turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man."  (ESV)

The worldly perspective prioritizes self-benefit (e.g., comfort, profit, safety), but the Father's perspective loves and serves others sacrificially.

24 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?  (ESV)

Father, I want to be like you.  Thank you for demonstrating your sacrificial love through sending your Son for us.  Jesus, thank you for your humility and selfless sacrifice.  Holy Spirit, I want to live like Jesus.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment