Monday, November 6, 2023

father-brother-friend

When our kids were little, I felt a sobering responsibility to accurately represent the Father to them.  I wish I had started working on knowing the Father earlier in my life so that I could have been a better father to my kids.  The Father is so good, and I have misrepresented Him so many times.

When our two oldest boys were baptized, I realized that our children are not actually our own.  As a father, I am actually a big brother in the faith, a steward to lead them to know the Father and the Son (the only Begotten Brother).  I feel a responsibility to disciple them to know Jesus, love Him, and pursue Him.

Now that our two oldest boys are both in middle school, I'm realizing that I don't have as much time as I thought I did.  They want to spend time with their friends.  I want to develop a friendship with each of them.

My relationship with Yahweh is mysteriously multifaceted: I'm a son-brother-friend. I am a son of the Father.  I am a brother of Christ.  I am a friend of Holy Spirit. Three-in-one. In my relationship with each of our children, I am a father-brother-friend.

Father, please help me be a good father to our children.  I want to represent you well.  Jesus, please help me be a good big brother to these younger ones in the faith.  I want to be a good example for them to follow.  Holy Spirit, please help me be a good friend to these friends of God.  I want it to be a good friendship for eternity, overflowing with your eternal  love. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment