Thursday, November 14, 2019

A long way to go

Hebrews 9:12‭-‬15 NIV
He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption. The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean. How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!  For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

I don't think you can fully parse out salvation into three separate parts (justification, sanctification, and glorification), maybe like you can't separate the Father, Son, and Spirit, but it seems to me that justification is the kickoff moment of a life of sanctification.

I feel like I still have such a long way to go to having my conscience cleansed and being free from fleshly/worldly impulses.  I am often easily frustrated by trivial things.  I selfishly want my way about things, and I am disappointed or angry when I don't get my way.  I care way too much about what other people think of me.  I need Jesus to cleanse my soul so that I can serve God.

Father, I feel like I have such a long way to go to be like you.  Like the difference between zero and infinity on a logarithmic scale. Jesus, how do I open myself to a deeper measure of your cleansing work.  Can you get your scrub brush a bit further into my soul?  Or perhaps it is more of an effervescent process like hydrogen peroxide?  Actually, you are focused on transformation, not just cleansing the surface.  You want to transform the essence of my soul from earthly to heavenly.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your presence.  May my spirit, soul, and body be fully yours and of you.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment