Friday, October 2, 2020

Even greater things (whatever, anything)

This is one of the most amazing passages in Scripture:

John 14:9‭-‬14 NIV
9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10 Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

First, Jesus was simply staying in unity with the Father, and the Father was demonstrating His work through Jesus (v. 10).

Second, like Jesus, the supernatural works that the Father does through us are evidence of our unity with Him (v. 11).  The greatest treasure in all of this is unity with the Father, the Son, and the Spirit.

Third, Jesus said that we would do even greater things than him (v. 12).  Jesus said it.  That is simply mind-boggling.  Jesus demonstrated the floor, not the ceiling.

Fourth, Jesus will do whatever we ask, for the sake of the Father being glorified in the Son (v. 13).  Anything (v. 14).  He must have known that we would struggle with believing that, because he said it a third time (John 15:7).  And a fourth time (John 15:16).  How many more times does He have to say it before I believe it and actualize it?

If I really understood how deeply the Father loves me, and if I could grasp with my hands the intensity of the joy set before Christ as He endured the cross, and if I could trust the Spirit enough to open my sails and let His unlimited power carry me on unbridled, well then I think I'd be on a good path towards unity with the Holy Trinity.

Father, my current understanding of your love for me is minuscule.  Many orders of magnitude away from being relevant. Father, please help me see past all of the illusions and distractions of this world to accurately behold you.  I want to find you.  And stay with you.  I want to be in unity with you like Jesus demonstrated.  Holy Spirit, please lead me the next step closer.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment