Thursday, March 3, 2022

Lent 2022

Several quotes from Day One of 
40 Days of Decrease: A Different Kind of Hunger. A Different Kind of Fast by Alicia Britt Chole and Dr. Simona Chitescu-Weik:

"Lent, in kind, is less about well-mannered denials and more about thinning our lives in order to thicken our communion with God. Decrease is holy only when its destination is love."

"God seems more interested in what we are becoming than in what we are giving up."

"I invite you to consider Lent as less of a project and more of a sojourn. A sojourn is a "temporary stay at a place." And a "stay" is about presence, not productivity."

"Spiritual disciplines do not transform, they only become relational opportunities to open the heart to the Spirit who transforms." — JOHN H. COE

"Why [fast], indeed. My annual fasts, seasonal forty-day fasts, and weekly twelve- to twenty-four-hour fasts are more love offerings than disciplines, though it certainly requires discipline to maintain them. In short, I ache. I ache for my Bridegroom. I ache to live every waking moment conscious of His presence. I ache to live aware of His past and present suffering. I ache to live unattached to what man counts and measures."



I have decided to fast from sugar/sweets during this Lenten season.  I have also decided to give up self-criticism and criticism of others (hopefully, permanently).  And as I focus on the fruit of kindness in 2022, I want to focus on the kindness of God through the life of Jesus during Lent.

Father, I want "to live every waking moment conscious of your presence".  I want to decrease the rocks and thistles in the soil of my hear to make more room for your zoe life.  Jesus, thank you for your suffering and sacrifice.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your presence and power.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment