Friday, March 11, 2016

(slow to) anger

No doubt, Moses was a great leader.  But it seems to me that the character deficiency that limited Moses's effectiveness in leadership was his lack of self control over anger.  

When he came down the mountain with the two original stone tablets, he threw them down and broke them in anger.  God was gracious and made a second set of tablets, but I wonder what would have happened had he controlled his anger. 

At Kadesh, when the Israelites were grumbling against Moses and God for lack of water, Moses struck the rock in anger instead of just speaking to it, and it seems like God truncated Moses's leadership of the Israelites into the promised land.

Fundamentally, acting out of a quick temper is inconsistent with the character of God:

Ex. 34:6 And [God] passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "[Yahweh], [Yahweh], the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, 7 maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. ...

I think anger is one of the things that I struggle with the most.  I am too easily frustrated with inefficiencies at work, and I get angry too quickly with my boys (especially when they do something that I have repeatedly told them not to do or when they don't do something that I have repeatedly told them to do.)  But I need to be gracious and slow to anger, like our Heavenly Father.

Heavenly Father, you are gracious and slow to anger, and I want to be like you.  Lord Jesus, you endured the scourging, and you bore the weight of my sin while you took the nails in your hands and feet.  Holy Spirit, please help me grow in the fruit of the Spirit.  I want to be a man of self-control, demonstrating the character of God.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment