Friday, March 4, 2016

speaking with the Lord face to face

Ex. 33:9 As Moses went into the tent, the pillar of cloud would come down and stay at the entrance, while the LORD spoke with Moses. ... 11 The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent. 
 
Num. 7:89 When Moses entered the tent of meeting to speak with the LORD, he heard the voice speaking to him from between the two cherubim above the atonement cover on the ark of the covenant law. In this way the LORD spoke to him.

I read the Exodus passage mid-February, and I read the Numbers passage a couple of days ago.  Last night, in our prayers with the boys, I asked the Lord to bring me into a level of intimacy with Him that I could speak with Him face to face, as Moses did.  If it was possible under the Old Covenant, then wouldn't it be possible if I am filled and anointed with the Holy Spirit? 

I see two important character traits of Moses that facilitated his intimate relationship with the Lord: humility and boldness.  He was the most humble man on the face of the earth. (By the way, I assume that a scribe added that note, not Moses, himself.  Although, theoretically, a truly humble person could make that statement as a matter of fact, without being prideful about it.)  I want to grow in humility by becoming aware of and disengaging my pretenses with the Lord.  Moses was also incredibly bold.  When the Lord told Moses on the mountain that He was going to wipe out the Israelites and start over, Moses argued with God.  And Moses asked to see God's glory.  Everyone else in Scripture freaks out about dying when they even see the glory of an angel, let alone when they realize that they had an interaction with God.  But Moses boldly asked God to mess him up by revealing His glory.  And God gave Moses what he could handle.

Heavenly Father, I want to pursue you more faithfully.  Not out of religion, in a growing love for you.  I want to know you enough to speak with you face to face.  I am your child, and I want to be like my Daddy.  I want to know you and abide with you.  Lord Jesus, thank you for bringing me to the Father.  Holy Spirit, thank you for coming from the Father; please lead me.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment