Tuesday, April 6, 2021

I'm going to stop trying to "do my best"

I've been sitting on this one for a while.  This post is somewhat of a continuation of the previous.

God has been speaking to me through my running recently.  One concept that has emerged is that my internal personality/desire to be perfect or the "best" can run away with something innocent and make it oppressive to me or others.

When someone innocently tries to encourage me to "do my best", what they mean is "you don't have to be perfect, just be you", but what I internalize is "exhaust yourself completely until there is nothing more that you could have given".

So, instead of "do your best", I am going to tell myself and my children to "in everything you do, work for the Lord, not for humans (including yourself)".  This ethic frees me to include enjoyment as a fundamental value within my work.  Thus, if I catch myself pushing myself so hard that I am beginning to restrict enjoyment, then I am coming out of alignment with the will of God to do everything for Him and no one else.

Father, thank you for your high value of joy.  Jesus, thank you for enduring the cross for the sake of the joy set before you.  Holy Spirit, thank you for growing a crop of joy in my life. God, thank you for freeing me from working as a slave to humans and inviting me to work for you.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment