Wednesday, April 17, 2013

driving out the enemy

1 Samuel 24

As I read through Joshua, I was disappointed at the end when it said that the Israelites failed to obey God and completely drive out all of the enemy.  (It still bothers me that God would have the Israelites completely destroy other peoples, but I trust that God is perfectly just and realize that we are all deserving of destruction because of our sin.)

Furthermore, after Saul was anointed as king of the Israelites, he did not obey the LORD and completely destroy a people, which was subsequently complicated by his confusion of the roles of king, prophet, and priest.

In my own life, I wonder how I have settled with the enemy co-residing with me in my heart and soul.  The flesh is so sneaky (like the Gibeonites who pretended to be from a far distance), and I imagine that I probably make excuses for not pursuing holiness by living with a little bit of lust, a little bit of pride, and a little bit of gluttony. 

Well, the Israelites are an example to us that we must take extreme measures to remove the flesh nature and sinful practices from our lives, or else, over time, they intermingle, which is the death of us.

Heavenly Father, please help me be vigilant at mortification of flesh nature and sinful practices.  You desire a "no tolerance" policy, and I need to obey you.  Please help me be aware of the stealthy sinfulness in my life.  Please illuminate my heart, soul, and mind with the Light of Christ so that I can see clearly and walk in obedience.  Lord, I want to honor you, and I want my life to be useful for your good work.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment