Monday, December 14, 2015

Good Shepherd

John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

Yesterday, Rebekah preached about Jesus being the Good Shepherd.  She pointed out that sheep don't have very good vision or stability, and they tend to get scared.  One of the main points that she made was how we need to reflect on how God has taken care of us so that we continue to follow His shepherding and we continue to believe that He is good.

I think I have had the wrong perspective of tenure, perceiving it more of an end-point as opposed to a hurdle along the way.  As I have recently begun to change my perspective around the tenure process, I think this tenure hurdle has induced in me a critical evaluation of my mission and vision for the rest of my career.  I tend to want to cling to the big grants that the Lord has brought through in the last 12 months (USDA, USAID, NSF ERC, etc.) instead of believing that the Lord will continue to provide.  But if He is really a Good Shepherd, He will continue to lead me along the path that He has for me, and He will continue to provide for what I need.  I must believe that His heart for me is good, and that goodness includes generosity.

As we took communion yesterday, Rebekah reminded us that the elements are evidence of His goodness, because He gave His own life for us.  He loves us so much, and we need to consistently remember that He is good.

Heavenly Father, thank you for showing us your goodness by giving us Christ Jesus.  Lord Jesus, thank you for being the Good Shepherd.  I want to trust you to guide me, protect me, and provide for me.  Holy Spirit, help me grow in listening to your voice.  I want to mature in constantly talking with you and being aware of your presence.  I want to believe you to do good things in my life and the lives of others.  I want to praise you for the good things that you do for us.  I want to know that you are good because I know you, not just because you do good things.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment