Monday, February 29, 2016

priestly blessing

Num. 6:22 The Lord said to Moses, 23 "Tell Aaron and his sons, 'This is how you are to bless the Israelites. Say to them:
24 ""The Lord bless you
    and keep you;
25 the Lord make his face shine on you
    and be gracious to you;
26 the Lord turn his face toward you
    and give you peace.""
27 "So they will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them."

This passage is very interesting to me, especially as I have recently been considering what my role is as a priest of the New Covenant.  It seems to me that this instruction for blessing transcends from the Old Covenant into the New.  In principle, it seems similar to Jesus's model prayer for our Father to bring His Kingdom on earth, which includes His blessings of presence and provision.

Fundamentally, I think it starts with the Name of God ("... hallowed be your name.").  We invoke the name of God, not as a magic spell or a talisman, but His name represents His character.  YAHWEH is the self-existing one, the definition of all existence, the great I AM, the covenant keeper.  And He loves to bless. His heart is toward us; He is a gracious Father who is seeking relationship with His children.  He delivers us out of darkness and into the light of His presence, and He gives us abiding peace that passes all understanding.

Heavenly Father, please teach me to be a person of blessing.  I want to be an ambassador for you, a deputy who is blessing everyone in my path with the Good News of redemption through Jesus Christ - that we have been rescued from our lostness and darkness into a place of light and peace, a place of favor and blessing because we are your beloved children.  Lord Jesus, thank you for making this way.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your light and your presence.  My spirit is with you in the heavenly realm, and you are with me here on the earth.  I want to receive the blessing and anointing of your presence today, and I want to share the blessing of your presence with others around me today.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment