Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Rejoice and give thanks

Katelyn came in at 3am this morning with some pain in her throat and chest.  I felt like I knew that I should rebuke it, but if so, I wouldn't go back to sleep, but I rebuked it anyway.  (She said that she feels better this morning.)  

I didn't go back to sleep, so I had some extra time to study and meditate.  I watched a sermon by Bill Johnson about healing, and very interestingly, he shared about the Lord waking him up and speaking to him in the middle of the night.  Bill said that the Lord pointed out two things from 1 These. 5:16-18:
"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

First, a lifestyle of giving thanks is the key to mental health.  We give thanks to God in all circumstances, including thanking God in advance for things that He has not yet given. 

Second, a lifestyle of rejoicing in the Lord is the key to emotional health.  We rejoice in the goodness of God, no matter what our circumstances are. (And from a sermon from John Piper that I watched last night and this morning, worship and praise is the fulfillment and completion of our joy in Him.) Bill said that joy is such a precious commodity in the economy of Heaven that, for the joy set before him, Jesus endured the cross (Heb.12:2). On earth, we have opportunity to give God a sacrifice of praise that includes the fragrances of our questioning, doubts, reaching for more of Him.  In Heaven, we will no longer have opportunity to give a sacrifice of praise in spite of pain and suffering.

Father, thank you for sending your Son.  Jesus, thank you for suffering for me.  Your death and resurrection gives me life and healing.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your presence.  I want to abide in your presence.  You are so good.  You are the Healer, even when I don't see healing.  May you receive more honor and praise by Christ living through me today.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment