Thursday, January 13, 2022

Two trees and three kinds of people

On Sunday, I listened to some teaching by Chris Blackaby about the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, and he explained that the consequence of death by the path of evil is somewhat obvious, but the consequence of death by the path of good works (i.e., self righteousness or religion) is slower and less obvious, but death, nonetheless.  

This is sobering.  There are so many people who consider themselves "Christians", but actually, they are walking down a path of religion to death.

I think the roots of religion are very deep in my heart, strangling the growth of Christ in me.  Religion has exacted of me a strict behavior modification.  But religion is of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, and religion is fundamentally incapable of yielding the fruit of the Spirit in my heart.

And I realized that much of my anger/frustration is an artifact of my mindsets and heartsets that are based in the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil: justice, fairness, and perfectionism.  These thought patterns generally lead to either a path of self-righteousness/arrogance or self-criticism/condemnation.  Either of those paths spills over into criticism of other people.  None of this is of the Father.

So, I need Jesus to set me free from religion and overflow me with kindness, which is of the Tree of Life.  I want to be in the third category of people, walking in life, freedom, grace, and mercy with the Father.

Father, you are good.  You are gooder than I think or can imagine.  Jesus, please deliver me from religion.  I want to walk in life with you.  Abundant life.  Holy Spirit, please overflow me with kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment