Friday, January 28, 2022

Five-day fast

As part of our final week of the 2022 January Daniel fast, I wanted to reach for more.  Brandi and I went to dinner together last Friday, and then fasted from food (only water and herbal tea) for five days, breaking the fast with dinner on Wednesday night.  Generally, I felt like I had more strength than I remember having last year, until day five.  Starting around the middle of day three, I felt like I had a greater sensitivity to spiritual things.

I shared these verses with our church as we finish the corporate fast this week.

Hebrews 11:6 TPT
And without faith living within us it would be impossible to please God. For we come to God in faith knowing that he is real and that he rewards the faith of those who passionately seek him.

One of the main realizations that I had during my five-day fast is that we are gaining by fasting is eternal and infinitely more valuable than the temporary things we choose to fast from.

2 Corinthians 4:17‭-‬18 TPT
We view our slight, short-lived troubles in the light of eternity. We see our difficulties as the substance that produces for us an eternal, weighty glory far beyond all comparison, because we don't focus our attention on what is seen but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but the unseen realm is eternal.

Father, thank you for your promise to be found by those who seek you wholeheartedly.  Thank you for the opportunity to pursue greater depths of your love and goodness.  Jesus, thank you for your example of living.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your constant presence and the opportunity to be more attentive to your presence through fasting.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment