Sunday, January 9, 2022

Jesus' 40 day fast

Beau and I had a good conversation about fasting.

Previously, I thought that Jesus had to starve His body for 40 days to weaken Himself from "superhuman/hero" level down to "normal human" level so that the temptation would be legitimate and representative of humanity.

However, now I see the 40 days of fasting as an intentional time of focusing on the Father and the Spirit and deemphasizing the desires of the body.

God doesn't love us more if we fast, and He doesn't love us less if we don't.  I'm fasting because I am strengthening my spirit and soul by prioritizing my spiritual will over the desires of the flesh.

Father, thank you for this opportunity to prioritize my desire to seek you.  Jesus', thank you for your example. Holy Spirit, thank you for your power and encouragement.  Help me break free from worldliness and religion and instead walk powerfully in faith and love.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment