Saturday, August 17, 2013

Boston in the fall

Jeremiah 29:4-7 ESV
"Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce. Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there, and do not decrease. But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare."

As i think about the Christian life in an analogy with the Israelite's experience, I think we are on our way back to the promise land (Heaven).  I think there is a general principle here of the importance of doing good and being an agent of peace and beauty in the communities in which we reside here on earth as we pursue the Lord and walk with Him.

Jeremiah 29:10-14 ESV
"For thus says the Lord : When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will visit you, and I will fulfill to you my promise and bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord , plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord , and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the Lord , and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile."

While this promise is in the context of the Israelites in exile and captivity in Babylon, I believe there is a general promise of the Lord's goodness to us and His promise of restoration and reconciliation with Him.  While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  Oh, that I would seek Him with all my heart!

The Lord has given us an amazing opportunity to live in Boston this fall semester.  A sabbatical, in many ways.  I wasn't looking for such an experience, but I believe the Lord has opened the doors for us to be here.

Yesterday was our first full day here.  We met Jon and Adria for lunch; their hospitality is inspiring.  I really look forward to working with Jon.

I think I will really learn a lot from the faculty and students of Olin, and I believe that God has given me favor with them.  I think God has given me opportunity to be a blessing here.

Also, I think a very important aspect of this sabbatical is to invest in my relationships with my wife and sons.  I need to invest in them according to the priority that they are.  I must confess that I have allowed work to dominate my attention, to the neglect of my family.  Brandi has been very patient with me, and my boys have been forgiving.  But I can't take their grace for granted.

On the drive up here, the boys did really well overall, but several times I became frustrated with their whines and misbehaviour.  I think a sign of maturity is not becoming aggravated and frustrated with someone else's immaturity.  I need to be disciplined and grow in this.  Patience and self control are fruit of the spirit, and I need to walk in Him so that His character is infused into mine.

Last night, I received a call from Brother Tom in Austin.  It has been a while since we visited; it was such an encouraging conversation.  His mentorship in my life has meant so much to me.  He is a great example of a faithful, joyful, and grateful disciple of Christ.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your abundant kindness to me and my family.  Lord, please help me grow in maturity and faithful obedience.  Lord, may I be an agent of your goodness, kindness, grace, and love, and may others see and experience Christ through me.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment