Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Advent: the Lord is coming soon

JAMES 5:7-8 NIV
Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains. You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near.

1PET 1:8-9, 13 NIV
Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.  ... Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming.

As the Israelites waited patiently for the Messiah to come,  so we wait expectantly for Christ to return.  As the advent season approaches, I want to celebrate Jesus's birth, life, death, and resurrection, and I want to keep an attitude of hope and expectation of His return.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the promise of Christ's return, and thank you for the hope and joy of our salvation.  Lord, may I be alert, and may my attitude in expecting Christ be pleasing to you.  I love you, though I have not seen you.  It will be so good to see you when you return. Holy Spirit, thank you for your sanctifying work; please help me desire to be holy as you are holy. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment