Saturday, February 13, 2016

unveiled faces

God's goodness and glory are inherent to His presence:

Ex. 33:18 Then Moses said, "Now show me your glory." 19 And the Lord said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. ...

34:5 Then the Lord came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the Lord. 6 And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, 7 maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished...

When Moses came down the mountain after seeing the Lord's goodness, he didn't realize that his face was radiant with the Lord's glory, which was the source of some awkwardness in relating to the people.  So, he engineered a compromise:

Ex. 34:33 When Moses finished speaking to them, he put a veil over his face. 34 But whenever he entered the Lord's presence to speak with him, he removed the veil until he came out. And when he came out and told the Israelites what he had been commanded, 35 they saw that his face was radiant. Then Moses would put the veil back over his face until he went in to speak with the Lord.

I was reminded of Paul's explanation of how much more glorious the New Covenant is that we enjoy:

2 Cor. 3:7 Now if the ministry that brought death ... came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, ... 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! ... 16 But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the New Covenant in Christ Jesus!  Thank you for direct and unveiled access to your presence, which inherently includes your glory and goodness.  Heavenly Father, I want to go boldly into your presence, confident that I am your son, and that you delight in me.  Holy Spirit, fill me and anoint me with your presence, and radiate your glory so that others may experience your goodness.  I love you, and I want to be more glorious.  I pray in the glorious name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment