Saturday, May 6, 2017

Double dose

Luke 10:33‭-‬34 NIV
But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him.  He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him.

I am impressed with the pouring of oil and wine, both of which are symbolic of the Holy Spirit.  Over the past several years, I have grown in appreciation of Jesus's healing ministry, which I now believe should be an essential part of every disciple's normal lifestyle.  It is encouraging to me to see the Holy Spirit so involved in healing ministry. So, oil and wine could represent a double dose of the Holy Spirit, or it could be a double dose of Jesus and the Spirit.  But the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are united in their work, so really it is a triple dose.

The good Samaritan anointed the man's wounds with oil and wine, both of which are typically used as food.  And not staples for survival, but rather for enjoyment and celebration.  The Holy Spirit is so intimately involved in our lives, from healing to celebration.

I think many people in this world have serious emotional wounds, some more obvious than others.  I feel encouraged to be more bold in allowing the Holy Spirit to flow through me to minister healing to people who I come across in daily life.

(Side note: Elisha asked for a double portion of Elijah's spirit, and the Scripture records Elisha having twice as many miracles.)

Heavenly Father, thank you for goodness expressed through healing.  Jesus, thank you for your example of healing ministry. Holy Spirit, thank you for your presence and power to use me for healing people.  May I be a good Samaritan, giving people a double dose of your goodness.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment