Friday, May 26, 2017

Best Friend

I listened to Hillsong's Behold song (https://youtu.be/BDNrouqSGjY) several times this evening, and I think I had a significant theological epiphany.  Over the past several years, I have grown in my perspective of relationship with the Holy Trinity, especially the Father as our Daddy, and Jesus as our Brother.  But I have struggled with how to relate to the Holy Spirit.  Even referring to this person as "THE Holy Spirit" reinforces His nebulous and enigmatic identity. 

But I think I finally understand a very simple relational identity that He is our BEST FRIEND.  The Holy Spirit is the best friend that any of us could ever have.  The kind of friend who is closer than a brother. (Or in this case, as close as a Brother.) He knows us inside and out.  Every day is an adventure together, and we can talk to Him about anything. 

So we relate to the Holy Trinity through three fundamental identities:  Father, Brother, and Best Friend.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the tremendous love that you have lavished on us.  Jesus, thank you for being my Brother who took my punishment.  I submit to your leadership.  Holy Spirit, thank you for being my best friend.  I want to grow in my friendship with you.  Let's make every day an adventure together!   I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment