Monday, May 1, 2017

transformational life change requires a change of identity

Randy preached on the parable of the four soil types, and his thesis was that the fundamental element required to become fertile soil is a change of identity.  If you want to become a healthy person, you have to see yourself as a healthy person.  Otherwise, behavioral changes will not be long-lasting because they are inconsistent with your personal identity of your self.  

If you want to be spiritually fertile, then you have to fundamentally see yourself as a disciple of Jesus.  That must be your overarching self-identity.

I was convicted of two things.  First, I feel like when people ask how I am doing, I usually describe how busy I am, and somewhat overwhelmed.  I need to change my identity of myself to not be a slave to being busy and over-committed.  I want to take on an identity of having a full life. (Jesus obviously worked hard, but He did what He saw the Father doing.)  Second, I typically am too quick to anger with my boys.  I need to change my identity of myself to not make assumptions or rush to conclusions with my boys.  I want to take on an identity of being a patient father.  

Shaun reiterated during communion, that "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." (2 Cor. 5:21 NIV)

Heavenly Father, thank you for your incredible gift of identity change.  You changed Christ's identity to be sin so that our identity could be righteousness.  By your grace, I will live the fruit of the Spirit, especially self-control and patience. Holy Spirit, please remind me of these often. I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment