Wednesday, August 23, 2017

prophecy and tongues

In 1 Cor. 12:7-11, both prophecy and speaking in tongues are included in the list of gifts of the Holy Spirit, but apparently the church in Corinth was too focused on tongues.  Personally, I didn't have much exposure to tongues before high school, and in grad school through early career, my perspective oscillated [1] and then warmed up [2], [3], [4], to the point that recently, I have asked several Brothers and Sisters to pray for me to receive the gift of speaking in tongues.

With respect to prophecy, I think I have generally dismissed this gift as unattainable for me, even though Paul gives several directives to pursue this gift:

1 Cor. 12:28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

 
1 Cor. 14:1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit,especially prophecy. 2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue[a] does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit. 3 But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. 4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. ... 39 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

I believe that God wants us all to desire prophecy. But how do you grow in prophecy except by practice?  I need to listen to the Father, and then share what I think I hear.

And, I think it would be great to speak in tongues, as well.

Father, thank you for your desire to speak through me.  Speak, Lord, your servant is listening.  I want to live every moment aware of your presence, hearing you, and sharing what you are saying.  Jesus, thank you for your example of constantly listening to the Father.  Holy Spirit, I believe that there is a mysterious connection between speaking in tongues and speaking the words of the Father, and I look forward to growing in your gifts.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment