Thursday, September 17, 2015

keeping an open mind

I ate an ant this morning.  A roasted ant.  From Columbia.  Definitely outside my box.

Listening to 1 Corinthians 12 this morning, I realized that I have come full-circle on my interpretation of some of the topics in this passage.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

First, the Spirit manifests Himself.  He demonstrates His presence and power.  And it is for our good.  Second, Paul lists nine gifts (not an exhaustive list), and included in this list are four gifts that I previously dismissed as obsolete or faked.  But recently, I have come to believe that the Holy Spirit does still heal and demonstrate miraculous signs and wonders, and I believe that He gives people the supernatural gift of speaking and/or interpreting unknown languages that are spoken somewhere in the world.  

The middle of the chapter is about us being one body with many members, each with different functions.  The end of the chapter returns to the distribution of gifts:

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

Miracles, healing, and tongues are right in there with teaching and helping, and it seems to me that no one has all of these gifts.

Previously, I have thought that speaking in tongues as a prayer language was bogus, but after listening to Chapter 14 this morning, I have changed my opinion.

13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays,but my mind is unfruitful.

Paul spoke in tongues, and he thought that it was profitable in certain circumstances.  But he also thought that prophecy was very helpful for the body.

39 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.

Heavenly Father, please help me be open minded to your truth, and please teach me.  Holy Spirit, please demonstrate your presence and your power through me.  I want others to know believe in Christ and experience your goodness.  Lord, please speak to me, and use me to speak prophecy to others.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment