Wednesday, November 15, 2017

fire and oil

Heb. 1:3 The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. ...
7 In speaking of the angels he says,
"He makes his angels spirits,
    and his servants flames of fire."
8 But about the Son he says,
"Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever;
    a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom.
9 You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
    therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions
    by anointing you with the oil of joy."

I feel like the focus of my attention is so quickly drawn to my task at hand.  Like a child playing hide-and-seek with his father and quickly becomes distracted with something else in the room and forgets that he is searching for his father.  I want to stand in wonder at Him. I want to enjoy worshiping Him.

I started reading When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy by John Piper, and it resonates with me.  Fundamentally, we are passive recipients of God's grace - like the wick of a candle set aflame.  (In contrast, religion is man's attempt to set himself on fire.)  Yet, also, in just as much a fundamental way, we are active agents with respect to enjoying His fire and pursuing more flame.

Father, help me enjoy searching you out and standing in awe of you.  Jesus, I am such a fragile wick, but I know that you are gentle and will not snuff out a sputtering flame.  Holy Spirit, would you give me a steady pour of the oil of joy to sustain your flame?   I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment