Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Helping the fatherless

Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.
Isaiah 1:17 NIV

On Sunday, our church met to repair and clean a mobile home for a single-mom with three kids. This house would really help them get back on their feet. They were at the Walmart shooting in August, and our pastor met them through his day-job, following up with the victims.  This was an opportunity to tangibly demonstrate the love of Jesus.  

We had just started fixing a broken floor in the boy's room when I spotted a shiny penny stuck in the corner of the floor and the wall.  At Jill's funeral, we gave everyone a penny as a reminder of Jill's experience finding pennies throughout her cancer treatment, which was a constant reminder to her that God was right there with her.  Jill loved restoration projects, and I felt like, in a way, she was there with us in spirit, smiling over our shoulders as we worked on repairing and decorating the house.  It reminded me of when Brandi and I first joined Paseo.

As I was driving back and forth from the nearest home improvement store, I was thinking about how my mom and dad lived an example of serving people.  I hope my children see the joy of serving.

Father, thank you for the opportunity to serve.  May our lives be lived in honor of Jesus's sacrifice.  Holy Spirit, show us which opportunities you want us to join today.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment