Saturday, August 22, 2020

Focus on the flux, not the deficit

As an Enneagram Type One Perfectionist, I tend to be frustrated by the broken or deficient aspects of the world.

I need to come to terms with the reality that, as a disciple of Jesus, I am part of the restoration, but I am neither the Judge nor the Solution.

In gas-liquid mass transfer calculations, the flux (J) is a simple function of the mass transfer coefficient (k) and the concentration deficit from saturation (Csat - Cactual):

J = k (Csat - Cactual)

As a perfectionist, as you see the way things ideally should be if the Heavenly Kingdom reality was fully saturated on the earth, you have to be careful not to focus on the deficit. While the concentration deficit is "the driving force" for flux, focusing on the deficit lends itself towards operating in legalism as a modern Pharisee.

Somehow, I need to embrace the "now and not yet" of the age of grace.

And certainly, I need to focus on the flux side of the equation.  I need to see myself as a liberator and reformer.  Of course, I can't completely ignore the deficit; it is part of who God has made to be.  But I need to  flux that I want to see in the world, not be a herald of the deficit.

So, I need to partner with the Lord to continue increasing the magnitude of my mass transfer coefficient so that I can facilitate a greater flux of His Kingdom.

Father, help me focus on you and your movement, not on the brokenness of this world.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment