Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Happiness is correlated with joyfulness

But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; may they be happy and joyful.
Psalms 68:3 NIV

I grew up in a church culture that valued solemnity and silence. There is certainly a place for solemnity and silence in disciple's life (e.g., fasting, solitude, etc.), but based on a preponderance of evidence in the Scriptures, I think expressions of joy and happiness are stronger indicators of the presence of Holy Spirit and the zoe life.  Joy is part of the fruit of the Spirit, and happiness is correlated with joy.

Father, I want to be a happy and joyful person, not from external hedonistic experiences, but from a spring of living water that flows from within.  Father, please show me your happiness and joy.  I want to be with you and emulate your character.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment