Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ecuador follow up

Ezekiel 3-4, Hebrews 2

Last Thursday night in Ecuador, we had some good spiritual discussion with Scott (one of the team members who is a high school and college friend of Steve, one of our pastors at Paseo).  Later that evening, Scott was still responding and asking questions.  He asked me how long I had been a Christian.  I shared my story of how the Lord gave me faith at the age of seven.  I shared the ABCs of salvation (Admit, Believe, Commit), and at about 2:00am Friday morning, Steve led Scott in a prayer to the Lord for forgiveness and committing his live to Christ's control!  What a blessing to be a part!  I have had several great follow-up conversations with Scott already about discipleship (prayer, reading the Word, small group connection, etc.).

On Saturday night, it was my turn to lead the devotional time for our team.  Steve had asked us to read through Max Lucado's book, "Out Live Your Life", before the trip, and he assigned me to lead discussion from the final chapter.  In fact, this chapter helped me understand an important theological concept with respect to compassionate ministry.  Based on Matthew 25:34-40, when we serve people in loving obedience to the Holy Spirit, we are actually loving Christ Himself.

Interacting with the local church in El Recreo, I am impressed with their close sense of community, which I imagine to be similar to the early church.  I am excited about their long-term strategy to plant churches, train missionaries, and share the Gospel globally.

With respect to academic research, I saw several aspects of rainwater harvesting and gardening that I would like to pursue further.  As a Christian, I am drawn to pursue research in fields that help people.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the opportunity to go to Ecuador and give people clean water in the name of Jesus Christ.  Lord, please use our work as a catalyst for people to grow in faith in Christ.  Lord, please give me continued direction, and show me how to bless people locally.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment