Thursday, September 15, 2011

worry

2 Corinthians 4

On Sunday, Greg talked about worry and how it is a sin of distrusting the promises of God.  Last night, in our small group, I asked what the promises of God are.  Straight away, someone quoted Romans 8:28-29.  And then we discussed Matthew 6:25ff.  I mentioned something about the promise that God is preparing the Church as the Bride of Christ and we can share in His joy for eternity.  Then I read 2 Corinthians 4 this morning.

His light is shining through us cracked pots.  We are beat up in this world, but through suffering we share in the death of Christ so that His life comes through our lives.

 13 But we continue to preach because we have the same kind of faith the psalmist had when he said, "I believed in God, so I spoke." 14 We know that God, who raised the Lord Jesus, will also raise us with Jesus and present us to himself together with you. 15 All of this is for your benefit. And as God's grace reaches more and more people, there will be great thanksgiving, and God will receive more and more glory.

 16 That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. 17 For our present troubles are small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! 18 So we don't look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.


Heavenly Father, thank you for the promises that you see and know everything, that you will accomplish justice, that you use everything (even pain and suffering) for the good of those who love you and are called according to your purpose.  Thank you for the hope of eternal life with you.  Please help me set my focus on you and not me.  I love you, and I want to serve you and walk with you.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment