Tuesday, June 19, 2012

solitude

Last week, we read the book Out of Solitude: Three Meditations on the Christian Life by Henri Nouwen.  I have known that I need to have more solitude for growing in my relationship with the Lord, but I simply haven't implemented it.  My goal is to set aside time to walk/run and be quiet to listen to the Lord each morning.

This book emphasized three points.  First, we need solitude, because it allows us to connect with the Lord and disconnect from the world.  Second, solitude allows us to focus on genuinely caring for people, as opposed to mechanically trying to cure people.  And third, through solitude, we develop an increasing expectation for Christ's return.

Jn 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Heavenly Father, please help me develop a practice of focusing on you.  You are important, and I want to show you that by practically taking time to listen to you.  Please help me grow in realizing that it is your work, not mine.  You are the source of love, and apart from you, I am nothing.  Lord Jesus, I want to grow in hoping in your return.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment