Sunday, October 5, 2014

Discipline in love

EPH 6:4 NIV

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

For the last several months, up to a couple of weeks ago, I was in a season of thinking that when Beau or Jude misbehaved or disobeyed, they should get a spanking straight away.  My rational was that prompt and persuasive disciplinary action would result in better behaved children. 

But Brandi suggested to me that one of our most important roles as parents is presenting to our children an accurate representation of our Heavenly Father, and our Heavenly Father is quite patient with us.  He does not promptly spank us every time we make a mistake.

I need to make sure that they way I discipline my children is loving, intentional, and instructing,  not reactionary.  And discipline is more than just correction of mistakes, it should be as much about guiding them into good lifestyle practices, as well.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your loving patience with me.  Thank you for guiding me and correcting me.  Lord, I want to clearly communicate your character to my boys so that they will know you and pursue you all their lives. Please give me wisdom in disciplining my boys.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment