Monday, October 6, 2014

Overseers and deacons

PHP 1:1 NIV

Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus, To all God's holy people in Christ Jesus at Philippi, together with the overseers and deacons :

This verse caught my attention this morning because I have recently been thinking about the synergistic value of the collaboration of these two functions within the church body.  In this passage, Paul used the term 'overseer' (ἐπίσκοπος), but throughout the New Testament, this term is used interchangeably with 'shepherd' and 'elder'.  This role is the shepherd the flock (lead, feed, and protect).  The role of the deacon (διάκονος) is to serve (like a waiter/waitress). (Paul outlined qualities of people in both of these roles in 1 Timothy 3.)

Jon Houser explained to me the difference in these roles with this short saying: elders are servant leaders, and deacons are lead servants. 

When you have elders trying to do the work of deacons or visa versa, people get frustrated.  When you have elders and deacons genuinely serving the Lord through their repective roles, then there is harmony and grow in the body.

Heavenly Father, please help me understand my role in the local body, and help me do it well. Lord, please help our church be intentional about identifying Brothers and Sisters who can serve in specific roles within our body, according to the gifts that you have given them.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment