Sunday, October 26, 2014

Shepherding

1 Timothy 4:12-16 NIV
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you.   Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

When I was in the youth group in high school, we were regularly encouraged with 1 Tim 4:12.  But I appreciate another aspect of Paul's encouragement to Timothy - Timothy was shepherding before he was an elder.  And Paul challenged him to persevere in shepherding, especially preaching and teaching.

1TI 5:17-18 NIV
The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. For Scripture says, "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain," and "The worker deserves his wages."

Two thinks occur to me here.  First, preaching and teaching are reiterated as important functions of elders.  Second, it is good to pay full-time shepherds who devote themselves to preaching and teaching.

Heavenly Father, I want to grow as a student and teacher of your word.  I want to understand your truths and help others understand so that we can all better worship you in spirit and in truth.  Please help me grow in maturity and in using the gifts that you have given me to bless the Body.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment