Sunday, December 28, 2014

More heart, less attack

My dad had a mild heart attack yesterday.  I am thankful that the Lord answered our prayers and gave us more time here with my dad. 

I am thankful for Mr. Ellison giving my dad nitroglycerin in the field, for my mom giving him aspirin and taking him to the ER, for Dr. Alley and the other attendants caring for my dad in the local clinic before transporting him to Lubbock.  I am thankful that the doctors were able to treat him without major surgery.

I realize the warning of my grandfather and father having heart blockage in their early 60s. I know that I need to be disciplined about eating healthy and exercising regularly.

I also realize that I need to lower my stress level.  My grandmother once gave me a bookmark that simply said, "RELAX".  I know that I need to learn to turn things over to the Lord and not get so worked up about things.  Reminds me of a song, "More heart, less attack" on Needtobreathe's recent album, "Rivers in the Wasteland":

"Slow to anger and quick to laugh
Be more heart and less attack
...
I stuck my hat out, I caught the rain drops
I drank the water, I felt my veins pop
I'm nearly sanctified, I'm nearly broken
I'm down the river, I'm nearly open
I'm down the river, to where I'm going"

Heavenly Father, thank you for healing my dad and blessing us with more time with him.  Lord, thank you for your patience and grace.  Please help me grow to be more patient in character like you.  Please help me rest in your sovereignty.   I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment