Monday, December 15, 2014

Elder roles

When I was waking up this morning, I was thinking about the role of elders in the church.  I think the principal role of elders is shepherding.  Also, I think the principal role of parents is shepherding.  In that way, you might also draw an analogy that elders are like spiritual "parents" or guardians.  Biological parents and spiritual guardians are responsible for seeing that their children grow and thrive, which generally involves loving them, feeding them, teaching them, and disciplining them.

Then, while reading Revelation this morning, I was encouraged and challenged with the concept that elders also serve the church as lead worshippers:

Revelation 4:4, 10-11 NIV
Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones, and seated on them were twenty-four elders. They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on their heads. ... the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say:   "You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."

Heavenly Father, please help me grow as a spiritual guardian and a lead worshipper.  May I lead out of an overflow of my relationship with you.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment