Sunday, August 9, 2015

Miraculous stuff

Recorded in Acts 3, Peter and John were going up to the temple, and instead of giving a crippled beggar some money, they healed him.

Somehow, I grew up with an implicit cessationistic perspective that the miraculous stuff happened in the lives of the apostles to jumpstart the chrch, but that miraculous stuff doesn't really happen anymore.  Except for missionaries, who had some really crazy stories.

The question that I am considering is, does God want miraculous stuff to be a more common occurrence in disciples' lives today.  I am beginning to think that He does.  I have heard too many stories of miraculous stuff to maintain a cessationistic position.  I cant think of anything in Scripture that would indicate that this demonstration of signs And wonders would die with the Apostles. And how sad, really, to believe that God won't work that way any more.

Frankly, I want to see Him do stuff like that through me.

Jesus modeled supernatural and miraculous demonstrations (e.g., casting out demons, healing people, etc.), and then He sent out the disciples (not only the twelve) to replicate.  He said that we who believe would do similar things (Mark 16:15-20), and He said that we would do even greater things than He (John 14:12). Paul said, "Imitate me as I imitate Christ." (1 Cor 11:1) That is pretty crazy when you think about all of the miraculous stuff that Jesus and Paul did.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the examples of Christ and the Apostles in joining you in your mission, by the power of your Spirit.  I want to live as a disciple of Jesus.  Please use me to demonstrate your supernatural power.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment