Sunday, August 23, 2015

Value and productivity

In a previous message, Greg talked about how we don't need to produce anything to be valued by God.  We can begin with a realization of acceptance by God and move into productivity.  The world (especially academia) says that our value is proportional to our productivity.  I think my first couple of years of workaholism were fueled by this pervasive paradigm, and exacerbated by my freshly desire for approval.

But God says we are priceless because He made us in His image, and He chose to spend His Son's life to demonstrate His love.  I think I came to a conscious awareness of this reality about half a year ago.

But today, Greg preached about hurriedness, which is related, but different.  Jesus was undoubtedly busy in His ministry, but He made time to be still and rest.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30 NIV

You can't do it all, and you can't do it alone.  I need to make time to be still and rest, and know that I am not less of a person because I am not doing anything.  I need to cast my cares upon Him and let go of my internal hurriedness to acheive.

Heavenly Father, please deliver me from my desire to do what is expected of me.  Help me focus on doing what you lead me to do.  Help me daily come to you and receive your rest.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment