Monday, August 3, 2015

presence of the Holy Spirit

I'm trying to understand the presence of the Holy Spirit.  In summary, it seems to me that there are two aspects of His presence: (1) a permanent indwelling of the Holy Spirit, initiated upon belief in Jesus Christ, and (2) a dynamic annointing/(re)filling associated with spiritual power.

First, Jesus taught that the Holy Spirit would be sent from the Father and from Jesus (John 14 and 15, respectively). This teaching was just before Jesus's death, burial, and resurrection.  Soon after His resurrection, Jesus appeared to the apostles in the locked room and gave them the Holy Spirit:

John 20:21 Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

For everyone else thereafter, I think you receive the Holy Spirit upon putting your faith in Jesus.  Peter preached at Pentecost:

Acts 2:38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

And Paul taught the Ephesians:

Eph. 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory.

I have generally understood this first aspect of the presence of the Holy Spirit since I believed in Christ, but I am beginning to think that there is a dynamic aspect to our relationship with the Holy Spirit, as well.

It seems to me that this dynamic aspect is associated with us continuing to fulfill Jesus's (Messianic) mission.  Jesus told the disciples:

Acts 1:4 On one occasion, while [Jesus] was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."  ... 7 He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

This is curious to me, because in John 20, he had already given them the Holy Spirit.  But, sure enough, at Pentecost:

3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

Throughout the rest of the book of Acts, people believed in Jesus, were baptized in water, and were baptized by the Holy Spirit.  And it seems to me that there is a correlation between being baptized by the Holy Spirit and validation of the Gospel through miraculous signs and wonders.  It is still not all clear to me, but I think I am trying to get past the pride of doctrinal sufficiency to be open to what He is teaching me and how He is leading me.

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us your presence through the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit.  Jesus, I want to experience the abundant life that you give.  Holy Spirit, please anoint me with your power to be a witness of Jesus.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment