Wednesday, October 21, 2015

familiarity breeds contempt

When I traveled in an airplane after I had taken fluid mechanics, I was so impressed with the phenomenon of aerodynamic lift every time we took off.  How is it possible that something as dense as a plane could fly in something as thin as air?

Yesterday, I was reading one of the chapters in Duncan Smith's book about Christ's substitutionary sacrifice and how incredible it is that Christ paid the penalty for all of our sin in His death so that we could have all of His life.  I realized that my heart is calloused.  I want to be moved by that reality. 

Perhaps, like me not even noticing that our airplane had taken off, I am so familiar with the Story that I take it for granted.   I think if I had a deeper sense of ownership of my sin and the terrible wrath that was due to me, maybe I would be more appreciative of the incredible grace of God.

Heavenly Father, I want to be filled with genuine gratitude for your mercy and grace.  Holy Spirit, please fill me with joy.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment