Saturday, November 7, 2015

holiness

1 Pet 1:13 Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. 14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do;16 for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."

For a long time, I thought "holiness" simply meant "morally perfect", but that is not actually what the word means.  I was reminded, recently, that the Greek word ἅγιος (hagios) means "different" or "set apart".  God commands us to join Him in His apartness.  God is the Creator, and we are the creation, but He wants us to be with Him.  I think it is as much relational as it is behavioral.

Practically, how do I join Him in His apartness?  I'm not sure if it starts with the heart or the mind, maybe both.  I think I need to want to be with Him, and I think I need to intentionally and consciously think about the reality that my spirit is with Christ in the heavenly realm.  How do I bring my soul and body into God's apartness with my spirit?  How do I grow my desire to be more fully present with God?

Heavenly Father, I praise you for your holiness.  You are holy, and I want to join you in your holiness.  Thank you for the privilege of being with you through Christ.  Holy Spirit, please grow my desire, and prompt me to think about being with you all the time.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment