Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Ecclesiastes: implicit truth

Ecclesiastes 1-6

It seems to me that the essential truth in Ecclesiastes is not explicitly stated; it is implied. 

Solomon finds everything meaningless, which seems to me that he had mostly fallen off the wagon by the time of this writing.  It seems to me that, as King David grew older, the his writings tended to focus more and more on dwelling in the presence of the LORD and knowing Him.  However, Ecclesiastes is mostly focused on the futility of worldly living (though not explicitly stated as such) and largely absent of a contrast of the satisfaction of experiencing God.  While Solomon concludes that several different worldly pursuits (e.g., hard work or hedonism) are "meaningless" or "a chasing after the wind" and truncated by the grave, the implicit contrast is that you can always go deeper in your relationship and experience with the LORD, and every experience with Him will be shared and celebrated for eternity.  Furthermore, to the extent to which we allow the Holy Spirit to permeate and annoint our work and R&R, He sanctifies it and redeems it from futility to sacred significance.

Heavenly Father, I praise you for the systems, cycles, and seasons that you created.  Thank you for the opportunity to live with you because of the presence of your Holy Spirit.  Lord Jesus, may every moment of my life be devoted to knowing you and advancing your Kingdom.  Holy Spirit, I want more of you.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment