Friday, July 29, 2016

impact and value

Rhett wet the bed sometime before 4am, and I couldn't go back to sleep, so I prayed about a lot of stuff.  Somewhere in there, I think the Lord gave me a message for myself and other professors:

Your value is not measurable or quantifiable. Your value is not determined by your salary, how many journal publications or patents you have, how much research grant money you have brought in, nor even how many students you have taught or graduated.  Your impact is not measured or approximated by any sort of "impact factor" that can be calculated. Most of what you do is intangible. Your impact on society through teaching, research, and service is fundamentally immeasurable. Your impact is meaningful and significant.  You make a difference.  But you are not valuable because of what you do; you are valuable because of who you are.  You are are loved by your Heavenly Father and made in His image, and Christ Jesus has purchased your freedom with His own blood.  Any quantification of your value or worth is less than your God-given value.  You are unique and irreplaceable. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for your love and encouragement.  Lord Jesus, thank you for purchasing my freedom.  It is for freedom that you have set us free, and I want to join you in the good works which you have prepared in advance for me to do.  Holy Spirit, I want to abide with you today.  Help me be aware of your presence, your activity, and your speaking.  I want to listen and obey.  And I want to share your love and kindness to people around me.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment