Saturday, June 23, 2018

In honor of Tom Davis

Tom Davis passed away on April 25, 2018, and I had the privilege of speaking at his memorial service in El Paso two weeks ago.

I met Tom and Pollyana at an American Membrane Technology Association conference in Austin in 2009, and I was so excited to hear someone else speaking about electrodialysis!  Later, Tom invited me to apply for a faculty position at UTEP.  

Tom was sincerely enthusiastic about his work, and he believed in what he worked on.  He loved inventing and figuring things out. 

Tom loved sweets, especially cake, and when we would celebrate someone's birthday, he would have an extra piece of cake on behalf of one of our gluten-free colleagues.  Sometimes he and I would even have a third piece.

Tom was polite and showed genuine hospitality. He had a sincere smile and his whole chest shook when he laughed (like Santa Claus).   Tom loved to sing, and he was a good singer.  

The joy of the Lord was evident in Tom.   I want to be a joyful person like Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment