Friday, August 24, 2018

Spiritual influence of parents

2 Chronicles 12:13‭-‬14 NIV
King Rehoboam established himself firmly in Jerusalem and continued as king. He was forty-one years old when he became king, and he reigned seventeen years in Jerusalem, the city the Lord had chosen out of all the tribes of Israel in which to put his Name. His mother's name was Naamah; she was an Ammonite. He did evil because he had not set his heart on seeking the Lord.

Unfortunately, it seems that Rehoboam didn't get a strong example of seeking the Lord from his father, King Solomon or his mother, Naamah the Ammonite.  By implication from verse 14, I think it is easier to seek the Lord if your parents are positive spiritual role models.

I am so thankful that my parents sought the Lord when I was growing up, and they taught me to seek the Lord.  It is not enough to know about the Lord, we have to show our children what it looks like to have a close personal relationship with God.  We must teach them to hear His voice and walk in faith and obedience.  I am so thankful that Brandi is my partner in leading our children by example.

Father, help me be a good spiritual Father to my children.  I want them to walk with you in even greater ways than me.  Holy Spirit, please show me how to show my children how to know you and walk with you. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment