Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Discipleship through coaching baseball

This coaching experience has been challenging to me.  We still haven't won a game.  I think Holy Spirit is using this situation to expose some deep-seated values/beliefs in my heart that I am valuable because of my accolades or that my happiness is conditional on preferred circumstances.  Moreover, I have learned that I need to reach out and ask for help and not expect people to see that I need help and step up.

After getting run-ruled last game, I could tell that the kids were really down.  So I reiterated that I as a coach can try to help them, but they get to choose their own attitude.  And from the perspective of eternity, we are going to care about the quality of our attitude but not how many games we won or lost.  If we (1) have fun, (2) play with integrity, and (3) get better, then we have indeed succeeded. But I am fighting a pervasive paradigm that says that your a loser if you lose.  I am fighting this paradigm among them, as well as my own heart.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the opportunity to coach these kids.  May they see your truth and love lived out through me. May they know that you love them unconditionally and are proud of them because of who they are, not because of what they do. I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment