Wednesday, May 22, 2019

perfect communion

As I read through John 6 this time, I was impressed with the substantial repetition of Jesus saying, "eat my flesh" or "eat my flesh and drink my blood".  These statements seem so harsh and illogical, but Jesus said it so many times.  How many times?  I counted seven.

The number seven symbolizes perfection and completion.  And I don't think Jesus was encouraging cannibalism, so perhaps His statements were about chewing and digesting His message, and/or symbolic of the elements of communion (bread and wine).

Father, please help me be humble enough to not be offended at Jesus's words.  Jesus, I trust you. Holy Spirit, please help me chew and digest the Word.  I want to know you, and I want to be completely yours.  I want to be in perfect communion with you.  May there be nothing offensive in me.  Please shape my mind so that nothing hinders me from having a better relationship with you.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment