Thursday, July 9, 2020

Diffusion of grace

Ruth 2:10 NIV
At this, she bowed down with her face to the ground. She asked him, "Why have I found such favor in your eyes that you notice me—a foreigner?"

Fick's First Law of Diffusion (|J| = D × dC/dx) is the basic principle that the net rate of transport by diffusion (J) is the product of a diffusivity coefficient (D) and the gradient (slope) in concentration (dC/d ∆C/∆x).  So, the rate of transport increases as the diffusivity increases and as the distance of separation (∆x) decreases between two different concentrations (∆C). 

Let's consider the diffusive transport of grace. God's grace is multi-spectral, including forgiveness of sin, spiritual power, physical healing, material provision, etc.  With respect to material provision, perhaps God allows us to determine the magnitude of the diffusivity coefficient by our own generosity, while He determines the magnitude of the concentration gradient.  So, when He brings someone of need into close proximity, and I have a generous attitude of freely giving away what I have freely received, grace flows rapidly.  And perhaps one of the greatest tangible demonstrations of God's grace is when we give to foreigners, strangers, and "enemies", because the Father gave Jesus while we were enemies of God.

Leviticus 25:35 NIV
If any of your fellow Israelites become poor and are unable to support themselves among you, help them as you would a foreigner and stranger, so they can continue to live among you.

Deuteronomy 15:10‭-‬11 NIV
Give generously to them and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this [Yahweh] your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to. There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your fellow Israelites who are poor and needy in your land.

Father, your grace flows so abundantly to me! I want to honor you by generously passing it along.  You are so rich, and it is such a privilege to share the treasure of Jesus with those around me.  May my material generosity honor you and be a sign of your generosity with multi-spectral grace.  Holy Spirit, I want to be attentive to you today to see who you want me to bless.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment