Tuesday, November 13, 2007

suffering again

 
My wife and I had a great discussion about suffering this morning.  I think suffering is God's primary instrument for spiritual growth.  It's not until we're in pain that we really seek God - I mean REALLY seek God.  Pain (whether physical, emotional, or mental) is one of God's most effective tools for engaging us to want to know Him.  So, I think there is a correlation between spiritual maturity and a persons resistance to opposing suffering.  That is, the mature Christian does not sadistically pursue pain, but he/she possesses a willingness to work through a time of suffering because he/she knows that God is growing His church and glorifying Himself.  This is because, when faced with suffering, a Christian must answer this question with his/her behavior:  Which do I want more - to cling to Christ and know Him more, or to relent and alleviate this pain?  Of course, the most extreme case is the decision of a martyr:  I want to know Christ and be identified with Him above all else, even more this physical life.
Phil 3:8 Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ 9 and become one with him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God's way of making us right with himself depends on faith. 10 I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, 11 so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead!
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for growing me.  Lord, I pray that you will continue to sanctify me and teach me to want you more than anything in this world.  Lord, please give me the proper perspective of suffering and the faith to follow you through any circumstance.  Lord, I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, the one who suffered for me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment