Friday, November 23, 2007

good Samaritan

 
In Jesus's parable in Luke 10, the good Samaritan gave the innkeeper two denarii for tending to the injured Jewish man.  A denarius was the full day's wage of a laborer.  Now, let's suppose this story was contemporary, and let's assume that a laborer makes $26,000 per year - that's $500 per week, or $100 per workday.  So, basically, the contemporary good Samaritan gave $200 to take care of this man.
 
Application: it will cost me something to be a good neighbor.  God expects me to give and sacrifice "my" resources for others.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for giving your precious Son for me.  Lord Jesus, thank you for giving your life as a ransom for mine.  I pray that I will be generous with the resources you have placed in my care.  I pray that I will have a proper perspective of humanity without cultural predjudices - people made in the image of the Holy God.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment