Wednesday, November 28, 2007

obedience

 
A couple of verses in Hebrews 3 jumped out at me today:
1 And so, dear brothers and sisters who belong to God and are partners with those called to heaven, think carefully about this Jesus whom we declare to be God's messenger and High Priest. 2 For he was faithful to God, who appointed him ... 12 Be careful then, dear brothers and sisters. Make sure that your own hearts are not evil and unbelieving , turning you away from the living God. 13 You must warn each other every day, while it is still "today," so that none of you will be deceived by sin and hardened against God. 14 For if we are faithful to the end, trusting God just as firmly as when we first believed, we will share in all that belongs to Christ. ... 18 And to whom was God speaking when he took an oath that they would never enter his rest? Wasn't it the people who disobeyed him? 19 So we see that because of their unbelief they were not able to enter his rest.
First of all, I simply like the concept of "thinking carefully about this Jesus."  I mean, He is the centrality of our faith, so we should be obsessed with Him.  And why should we dote on Him?  Because "He was faithful to God," - "single minded obedience" as Bonhoeffer put it.  Indeed, we should be careful to disallow evil and unbelief to turn us away from the living God because Satan's schemes are sneaky.  It is to the obedient believers that God will award the inheritance of Christ; the unbelievers will not experience True Rest from the Lord of the Sabbath.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, help me think carefully about Jesus.  Lord, I want to understand Him and love Him even more.  Jesus, thank you for being both High Priest and sacrifice for me.  Give me strength to obey you and help me be aware of Satan's schemes so that I may remain faithful, obedient, and believing.  I pray that you will glorify yourself through my life.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment